Saturday, April 2, 2011

All my eggs in a basket (not easter related)

Before I continue with my original random tangent, I would just like to give a shout out to google for the shear fact that you can type any random phrase and actually find a picture for it. In this case "man holding flowers at the door." However, I digress. So the title of this thought comes from the fact that anytime I get excited about a girl, my mom tells me, "don't put all your eggs in one basket." However, lately my reply has been that frankly there aren't many baskets I want to put my eggs in....which sounds kind of weird but I think it gets the point across. What even brings this up is that I heard a talk today talking about how people my age need to date and get married. When you're a Mormon male at the age of 27, the flood gates of people harassing you about when you are going to get married open up. For those who know me best it comes at no surprise to say that frankly I don't date a lot. For those who don't know me that well then I will tell you up front that I don't date a lot. It comes down to the fact that I am picky, lazy, and sometimes I just wuss out. I wouldn't say I have a particular type since I have dated all sorts of girls, but I just know what I like when I see it, and more often than not, I just don't see too many that I really like...its kind of like buying jeans (not to degrade women down to a pair of jeans, because I take my clothes very seriously as well.) I am trying to change my attitude and date more, hang out with a wider variety of people. I have probably even been on more dates so far this year than I did all of last year. It sounds pathetic, but I just don't see the point in spending time/money on someone who I am not attracted to in that oh so special way. Being picky does more than just limit the number of girls I ask out, because it also reduces the number of girls who might like me back. Whenever I think about that concept, I am reminded of the time a women at work leaned over from her cubicle to interrupt a conversation I was having with some friends to tell me it was probably my personality that turns off women...she then disappeared back to her cubicle...it was a weird day. I don't invest too much into what she is saying because the women was crazy and looked like a turkey. But if a girl is going to be turned off by my personality, then so be it, and she is probably a lesbian anyway (kidding). In all seriousness though I don't care if this post makes me sound like a 16 year old who hasn't been on a date in his life, if I have taken someone out I don't believe in the dating game so i'm going to be obvious about my feelings so just be honest with me in return, and if I have we have gone out/dated and it doesn't work out I get over things pretty quick so don't act weird because that will make me wonder how I was ever attracted to you.
Side note- I don't believe in proof reading or punctuation so this is probably riddled with errors.
Back to the point. Dating sucks. I enjoy spending time with the opposite sex, even if they are just friends. I am trying to date more and open my mind to a wider variety of people. I can't read girls and their signals so I have no idea when to ask someone out, put my arm around them, or just give them a nice hand shake at the end of the night.
At the end of the day I know I have to do my part, and I know that eventually I will find someone who will adore me as much as I adore the females in my life, but none of that ever makes the world of dating any more fun.

2 comments:

  1. Ah...if Google had a nickel for every time they got a Shout Out...wait...maybe they do.

    Anyway, very nice post about a very true sentiment. Well done sir.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eric, you should date Lauren. She's just your type. Don't tell her I said so, but you really should ask her out. If nothing else, you'd have a REALLY good time. Lauren is about a million times more fun than me.

    ReplyDelete